The following public service announcement is brought to you by the necromancers of Nero International.
Here’s a summary I wrote for the Create Undead spell a year or two ago:
- Body Points equal to ½ the value listed on your Character Sheet
- Melee Damage equal to the base damage of the weapon itself. This includes the additional damage from a Damage Aura on a magical weapon, but not any Proficiencies, Superhuman Strength, Strong Arm, or any other skills or abilities.
- Lesser Undead creature type: You are affected by the Control Undead, Free Undead, Harm Undead, Help Undead, Trap Undead, Turn Undead and Sanctuary spells, as well as the Voice Control Lesser Undead monster ability. Your weapon damage is not absorbed by the Desecrate spell. You are completely destroyed by the Destroy Undead spell regardless of your Body Point total. You are healed by Cause spells, damaged by Cure spells, and take double damage from the Healing damage type. Being undead is a visible effect and should be stated as such if you are asked for your description.
- Immunity to: all alchemical substances, all Poison attacks, Waylay, Calm, Cause Disease, Charm, Death, Life, Paralyze, Shun, Sleep, Taint Blood, and Wither Limb.
- Mindless: You are a mindless berserker. When the spell takes effect you must immediately stand up and attack the nearest living creature (except the caster) with your weapons. Generally you will “zone in” on the nearest target you see and relentlessly attack that character without concern for defense or tactical fighting. You will follow the target into a crowd unless other characters completely block your way, in which case you will re-orient to the nearest target. You will continue to fight until destroyed or ordered to stop by the caster. You may not use any game skills or abilities whatsoever, only melee combat. Finally, you will not remember anything that happened while undead.
- Controlled: You must obey the commands of the caster to the best of your ability, taking into account the fact that you are now mindless. For examples of commands that you can and can not understand, see the Control Undead spell.
- Death Count: When affected by this spell, continue to count down your five-minute Death Count. If you are reduced to zero Body Points or otherwise destroyed before your Death Count is finished, you fall down dead with your Death Count continuing and may be given a Life spell as normal. Additionally, you may only be affected by this spell once for each time you enter your Death Count. Once Created and then destroyed, you are immune to further castings of the spell until you are given a Life spell and then killed again. If you are destroyed after your Death Count has finished, or if the spell’s one hour duration expires, your body immediately dissipates and you can seek resurrection
Here’s what you WON’T do:
- Yell “I’m a zombie!” at the top of your lungs. This is cheating.
- Loudly groan, moan, or otherwise yell anything. The spell does not instruct you to make loud noises. This is cheating.
- Yell, “Visibly undead,”, “You see an undead,” or, “You see a zombie!” Players should only indicate visible effects if ASKED for them. This is cheating.
- Throw your weapons out to your sides and make no attempt to fight. “Mindless berserker” does not equal gimpy, defenseless lump. The spell does not say you can fight poorly on purpose, or refuse to block.